跳到主要內容

9/14/17 Exit Slip

 A teacher is also learning just like the student. Every classroom provide a learning opportunity to learn about the students. In the videos we saw how Frank merged with the high school students and embraced their frustrations with the learning materials. He also used his immegrarion stories to empathized with students with difficulties.

I think that Frank's approach on teaching is very inspiring. He had to adapt to the foreign circumstances and make the best of what he had. We as teachers will not always be best equip with materials for the class, what is important is to have the will and motivation to better ourselves as much as we can. I agree with Frank when he said you stop being a teacher once you stopped learning.

Franks humbling attitude toward teaching is very important for us to look up to. As a teacher he never tried to have a up-to-down attitude while facing students, he mentioned about unmasking as a teacher and instead bringing out his true personalities While that model might not suit completely in modern day classroom situation, I think the core idea is to be genuine and to learn together with the students as if the  teachers are also sharing the journey with their students.

Lastly Frank could really understand the students and their situation coming from similar circumstances himself.  I agree that we should always consider the angles and points of view the teenagers are coming from. For example Frank could understand the ESL students' difficulties because he was an immigrant too, also he understood students' discontent because he was once radical teenager himself.

It is extremely important to be connected with the students from a personal level such as Frank has; while maintaining professionalism, I think all teachers should lookup to Frank's teaching success.

留言

這個網誌中的熱門文章

10/19 Exit Slip

The inquiry project, topics that I wish to explore: How to we make physics enjoyable to learn? How do we inspire student to have self-motivation to find out what they don't know in the unit? I hope to develop a process to motivate students to inquire the knowledge they have yet to understand. I plan to do a "test" and then work on the stuff students do not understand based on the result. It promotes a healthy attitude toward test mark and inspire students to explore knowledge on intrinsic motivation What is the most efficient setting to do group projects? While we talked a lot about the benefits of group inquiry project, one of the main constraint is the time it takes and the potential of uneven contribution from each group member. I want to experiment different variables such as class time and group size for each physics related topic so we can know the best settings to go about these topics and how we can distribute the groups. This will take some sampl...

Entrance Slip 10/5

The article promotes the benefit of adding gardening to students' education and points out the numerous benefit of such program. I can relate and agree on author's observation of such program taking place. Learning about food and languages are the best way to be humble and learn about others culture in my point of view. Learning the language is a gesture of respect and equalizing the status of our language to the others, while taking the step is very inviting it is certainly not the most efficient way as language takes time to learn. Presenting/sharing  food on the other hand is universal as we all eat as human been, learning/sampling other culture's food is again a very welcoming sign and promotes culture exchange just like how the children shared their eating customs in the article. I really like the idea as food growing and gardening is something that brings the children all over the world together, it is a universal practice that transcend language barriers. It definite...

10/5 exit slip

The garden's experience is extra special for us as future teachers to learn about the different aspects of such program. When students are exposed to garden space I think there are more room for imagination and connection to their environment. The activity of drawing natural/ man-made objects is an excellent example; how there no no ends of drawing a natural object- say a pumpkin. Being able to recognize the plants that grow in the garden can also create connections to everyday life. I remember having memory of my summer job in Chilliwack just from the mint we sampled at the garden, while others are excited to find their connections too. It relates to the article we read before class, the whole idea about slowing down is really important for students now day--where information cycles so fast yet many do not know where do the food we eat daily come from. With application to physics education, I think that garden will be an excellent location to do some testings of projects that re...